Analysing recycling trends over the last 20 years to predict future recycling behaviour
Conduct analysis to understand and identify trends in recycling practices over the past 20 years. The objective of the challenge is to gain insights from recycling rates, material compositions, geographic variations and other factors influencing recycling behaviour.
Conduct analysis to understand and identify trends in recycling practices over the past 20 years.
The objective of the challenge is to gain insights from recycling rates, material compositions, geographic variations and other factors influencing recycling behaviour.
By examining historical data available, find correlations and changes in recycling trends, informing strategies for future recycling initiatives.
Using the time series data, analyse the long-term trends and patterns in behaviour.
Consider performing a comparative analysis between regions to identify geographic variations in recycling practices.
Challenge entries could include recommendations for Victorian Government policy makers. Document the data sources, methodologies and assumptions made during the analysis.
Datasets – from Data.Vic (use at least 1)
• Victoria’s waste projection model estimates waste generation in Victoria to 2050 (new release).
• The Victorian Local Government Annual Waste Services Survey is a voluntary survey for all councils. It captures the amount of material collected by councils in kerbside and other services between 2001-02 and 2020-21 (new release).
• Waste data. The database presented in a flat Excel format, contains waste data from 2006–07 to 2020–21, a user guide, a list of parameters used, and a register of data revisions made.
• Recycling Victoria’s market insight reports (PDF) provide a snapshot of the waste and resource recovery sector’s market resilience and include:
- ⁃ market profiles for each waste stream – paper and paperboard, plastics, glass, and metals,
- ⁃ trends and opportunities,
- ⁃ special topics.
• National Waste Report 2022 (PDF).
Eligibility: Use at least 1 dataset from Data.Vic list.
Entry: Challenge entry is available to all teams in Australia.
National Waste Database
Victorian local government waste data
Victoria's waste projection model